A player earns Beats for his character in many ways (listed below). When your character has gained five Beats, they convert to one Experience, which can be used to develop your character’s abilities.
You gain Beats when your character fulfills one of the
• If your character fulfills an Aspiration, take a Beat. At the end of the game session, replace the Aspiration.
• Each Condition has criteria for resolution. When resolving a Condition, take a Beat.
• Some Conditions provide Beats for actions other than resolution.
• Any time you fail a roll, you may opt to make it a dramatic failure and take a Beat.
• If your character takes lethal damage in one of her rightmost Health boxes, take a Beat. Vampires do not gain Beats from bashing damage.
• At the end of any game session, take a Beat.
• Any time your character risks a breaking point (p. 73), take a beat.
• I will ask each player what they have learned and award Beats based on your answer.
• Role-playing also gets you Beats.
• Heroism, surviving dangerous situations will also get you Beats.
• Wisdom, coming up with a great plan or spontaneous ingenuity will also get you Beats.
• Success will also get you Beats.
• If you have a flaw, you may get an XP for that too.
Will only get between 1 and 5 XP per episode